|The Congress is the annual general meeting of members and shall be the highest authority of GRAIN SA. All the other general meetings of members shall be Extraordinary Congresses. The Congress shall be convened annually on a date and at a place determined by the Executive.
Function of the Congress
The function of the Congress shall be -
- the consideration, discussion and approval of the annual financial statements, auditor's report and the report of the Executive of GRAIN SA;
- the election of the Chairperson, 1 (one) Vice-Chairperson and the Executive, Congress condone the appointment of the second Vice-Chairperson elected by the Working Group for Farmer Development.
- the appointment of an auditor and the approval of his fees; and
- the transaction of any other matters which shall be tabled as special matters.
Composition of the Congress
The composition of the Congress shall be 340 (three hundred and forty) regional delegates, elected on a regional basis as determined by the Executive, as well as 32 (thirty-two) delegates from Study Groups, as stipulated in article 25.3, for respectively the eastern and western regions: Provided that –
- with regard to regional delegates, the Executive shall as far as practically possible allocate an equal number of delegates to each of the regions referred to in article 9.1, based on the levy payment ratios among the regions concerned; and
- with regard to regional delegates, the number of delegates of a region shall be divided by the Executive, in consultation with the relevant Regional Grain Authority amongst the districts in that region with due regard to the ratio in levy payment between branches and districts: Provided that the number of delegates allocated in this manner to each relevant branch or branches or district or districts jointly shall be elected by the members of GRAIN SA in the branch/district or branches/districts concerned, provided further that the delegates concerned may also be selected in any other democratic way, as may be recommended by the Grain Operating Branches and District Grain Authority or District Grain Authorities concerned jointly, and also approved by the Executive; and
- with regard to delegates from commercial black grain producers to Congress, a delegation of 32 (thirty-two) shall be allocated. These delegates shall not be determined on the basis of production or the payment of the commodity levy in their regions. The 250 Ton Club shall annually elect the 32 (thirty-two) delegates to Congress, during the annual meeting before Congress. 16 (sixteen) delegates shall be elected from the eastern service area and 16 (sixteen) delegates shall be elected from the western service area (as referred to in article 7.7). The delegates appointed to Congress must satisfy the qualifications for membership as stipulated in article 5.1.4.
Notwithstanding the provisions of article 25, the first Congress of GRAIN SA shall be constituted by the 340 (three hundred and forty) delegates to the founding Congress held on 10 June 1999, or their secundi.
An Extraordinary Congress, at which only business for which such Congress has been convened shall be transacted, may be convened in the following cases –
- upon resolution of the Executive; or
- upon written and motivated request of at least 1/3 (one-third) of the Regional Grain Authorities, which request shall be supported by the Executive: Provided that an Extraordinary Congress to amend the Constitution shall only be called with the approval of the Executive.
GRAIN MAPPING THE FUTURE
Download the Congress programme here:
2017 Congress Agenda
Thank you to our sponsors: